Friday, January 20, 2012

Is the Millennium Series by Stieg Larsson worth reading?

The books have become incredibly popular recently and I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about. While the majority of reviews I've heard/read have been positive, it has gotten slightly mixed reviews. The thing is that I don't get much time to read and the trilogy looks like a pretty big investment of my time so I'm wondering if it's worth it? I know we all have different tastes but if anyone has read the books please let me know your thoughts! Thanks.|||I found the stories to be interesting but I thought that the writing tended to drag a little bit and the writing itself amazing. If you're a fan of Robin Cook or Michael Crichton then you'll probably like these. They're thrillers, where the fun is in unraveling the mystery, not in sinking into the prose. I found it quite easy to blow through fifty pages or more in a sitting.





Also, I know this sounds like literary blasphemy, but you might want to rent the first movie and see if you like it. Having read the book and seen the movie, I can say that it is a pretty faithful, pared down adaptation of the book.





Also also, I feel like you could walk away from the series after the first book and not feel a terrible loss. You get a conclusion to the big mystery and though he sets us up for a sequel, if you never got terribly invested in Salander's character, then it wouldn't be heartbreaking to set it down and never find out what her backstory is.





So yeah, I'd say they'd be worth picking up a paperback of.

No comments:

Post a Comment