Friday, January 20, 2012

Is the book The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson appropriate for my age?

I am 13 years old, and in 8th grade. I've seen many people on the train, bus, etc. read the book, and when I went on Amazon to check the reviews, I saw that it was a good book. But is the book actually appropriate for my age and grade?





Thanks|||It's aimed at adults. It has adult characters who do things that adults do.





You're 13, not seven. Since you are old enough to distinguish fiction from reality, you shouldn't be scared to read something with 'inappropriate' content. It's not going to leap off the page and drag you down to Hell. I had certainly read books with that kind of content by the time I was your age and I still seem to be a normal functioning human being 20 years later. If you restrict your reading to that extent, and worry about what is 'age-appropriate' you will end up hampering your intellectual development, to be honest, as you'll be preventing yourself from reading a great deal of classic literature and you'll end up with a very narrow range of reading material.|||I'm going to be completly honest with you. The book has some sexual content and heavy use of langauge. It really depends on if your mature enough. I'm sixteen and I read the first two books and loved them. They were a little hard to get into at first but it's so extreme that it's hard to put down. But then again I think you should ask your parents to see if they would let you.|||I've only seen the movie, and based on some of the things I saw I'd have to caution you. I think you may need to wait a few more years.|||If your more mature for age than most 13 years old, then I say read it. Its a good book but there is a lot of sex and language.|||If you're thirteen, the whole of human literature is appropriate.|||No. It's very adult - graphic violence against women, sex, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment