Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Any recommendations for GOOD mystery/crime fiction (no Evanovich-type stuff)?

I'm looking for some recommendations for good, quality mystery/crime/suspense fiction (series or single books). I love the old stuff like Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle but have read most of their stuff. I'm a lot more picky when it comes to contemporary mystery/crime writers - I really enjoyed Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series and Shades of Grey, and I've just finished Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce books.


I definitely do NOT want something in the vein of Evanovich/Mary Higgins Clark/Patterson/Kellerman, and I absolutely hate anything I've read by Dan Brown.


I'm open to newer stuff or if there are older books in the vein of Christie/Doyle that I haven't checked out yet. No Stieg Larsson - I'm contemplating reading those but not right now.


Thanks!|||Ruth Rendell. I've read every book she's ever written. She's considered the best of mystery writers alive today. Her characters are drawn magnificantly and you will be hard pressed to put a book down once you've started it.





She also writes under the name of Ivy Vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment